What is Anxiety ? In simple terms, anxiety is the body’s reaction to unfamiliar, stressful and dangerous situations. It is a feeling of distress, uneasiness, nervousness, apprehension, fear or dread before a particular event. Constant anxiety can get in the way of day to day activities, from your sleeping habits, to your diet and even your social life.
Basically anxiety is of two types:
1) Mild anxiety: Mild anxiety is vague and disturbing.
2) Severe anxiety: Severe anxiety has a serious impact on our daily life and it is devastating.
Most of the people suffer from Anxiety Disorder. In Anxiety Disorder, the anxiety becomes irrational, overwhelming and sometimes disproportionate to the situation. It involves serious physical symptoms like trembling, nausea, headache etc. However, the various types of Anxiety Disorders are mentioned hereunder:
· Generalized Anxiety Disorder
· Panic Disorder
· Social Anxiety Disorder
· Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
· Separation Anxiety Disorder
· Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
How to Get rid of anxiety:
When you’re feeling anxious, you might feel helpless and uncertain of how to feel better. You might do things that unknowingly increase your anxiety. However, there are various tools and techniques mentioned hereunder that help to manage anxiety effectively:
1) Deep Breath: “The first thing to do when you get anxious is to breathe,” said Tom Corboy. Taking deep breath is a powerful anxiety-reducing technique. It helps to activate the body’s relaxation response.
Slowly inhale to a count of four, fill your belly first and then your chest, hold your breath to a count of four, and slowly exhale to a count of four. Keep your eyes closed and turn your attention to your breathing. Breathe naturally through your nostrils and do not attempt to control your breath.
Repeat the process various times until your mind settles on the breath. The sooner you make this your habit, the faster you’ll feel relaxed.
2) Meditate (Do not medicate): Proper meditation is more powerful in reducing anxiety than general stress management techniques. Sit quietly and focus on your awareness, you’ll experience less stress and improved anxiety.
Start your day with ten minutes of positive energy and solitude. Give yourself the gift of serenity.
3) Limit Social Media: Studies have found that social media raise people’s level of anxiety. Stay away from these social media platforms to avoid comparing yourself with people’s life or to avoid getting that dreaded fright of missing out.
4) Eliminate Caffeine and Sugar: Caffeine worsens anxiety symptoms. Moreover, it creates anxiety in various situations where you wouldn’t normally be anxious. Basically, caffeine is a stimulant that not only triggers a flight or fight effect in your body but also triggers insomnia.
Sugar can cause anxiety as well as panic attacks. It acts as a adrenal stimulant. Therefore, eliminating caffeine and sugar from your daily diet will help in reducing your anxiety.
5) Going to Bed Early: Sleep deprivation is one of the main causes of anxiety. Inadequate sleep increases the brain anticipatory reactions which in turn increase the level of anxiety.
Remember, anxiety becomes destructive when it interferes with your life. Therefore, sleep early, give enough rest to your brain and thereby reduce your level of anxiety.
6) Lavender oil: Lavender oil is used as a natural remedy to reduce anxiety and various other nervous conditions. It has many healing properties. Here are some ways to use lavender oil in order to reduce your anxiety level:
· Add lavender oil to your bath water.
· Add few drops of lavender oil to a tissue and place it under your pillow before sleeping.
· Apply lavender oil to a cotton ball and massage your temple slowly.
· Massage your joints and muscles with lavender oil as it acts as a muscle relaxant.
· Lavender oil acts as an expectorant. It helps to break mucus from nasal and chest congestion during cold.
7) Accept Your Anxiety: Its always better to accept your anxiety rather than fighting it. Always remember that anxiety is a feeling like any other feeling. Accepting anxiety is very important because trying to fight it or eliminate it will worsen your anxiety.
8) Use positive self-talk and Focus on meaningful activities: One of the main cause of anxiety is “negative thoughts”. Think positively in all circumstances and it will help you degrade the level of anxiety.
Moreover, focus on meaningful activities. Do not sit back obsessing about how you feel. In simple words, do not sit back focussing on being anxious rather get busy with your day to day life.
9) Get the root of your feelings: The best way to reduce your level of anxiety is to find out the core fear of your anxiety. After knowing the fear or reason behind your anxiety, change your pattern of thinking. Do not think about those things which are beyond your control or which put you under constant pressure.
10) Exercise: Physical exercise helps you to get rid of anxiety in the long run. Regular exercise will improve your mood, sleep pattern, stress and anxiety. Physical exercise will not only provide calmness to your brain but will also make you fit.
11) Other methods:
· Green juice
· Practice Gratitude
· Visit a Therapist
· Get rid of clutter
· Eliminate soda from your diet
Thus, the above mentioned methods will definitely help you to get rid of anxiety.
Always remember, “The feeling of anxiety is less than ideal but it is not intolerable”.